School of Medicine
The medical program curriculum of Universidad Central del Este presents a single combined model program consisting of an undergraduate premedical level and a graduate level consisting of Basic Sciences, Clinical Sciences and Clerkship. This program is established in accordance with the rules and procedures of the Ministry of High Education. These are recognized as periods of training that the student must pass, until he / she reaches the degree of Doctor of Medicine (MD).
Pre- Med is the first level of the medical program. This level is composed of all the Natural Sciences, English, Spanish, Behavioral Sciences, and Social Sciences among other courses that allows for the comprehensive training of a student capable of managing and understanding successfully the next level of the medical program.
An applicant to UCE School of Medicine must fulfill the admission requirements as stipulated in the Admissions Manual.
School of Medicine Program Objectives
- Ensuring that students continue their comprehensive training throughout the core curricular elements of the Degree in Medicine, gaining knowledge of the basic sciences relevant to medicine.
- Training students to deal with clinical, public health, economic, social and cultural problems as well as related environmental factors through the use of techniques and methodology employed to evaluate biological functions. Guaranteeing that students gain sufficient knowledge of the structure, function and normal behavior of human beings in terms of their biological and social integrity as well as the cause, mechanisms and general manifestations of pathological states.
- Enabling students to acquire certain essential habits, acting in accordance with the principles of moral and ethical responsibility. Imbuing them with social and humanist sensitivity that will allow them to correctly interpret and apply their medical knowledge.
- Ensuring that the Degree in Medicine curriculum prepares students to behave in a manner that reflects the knowledge and skills of a general practitioner. Making sure that students respond professionally to the needs of society, improving people's quality and way of life.
- Providing students with solid knowledge of the basic areas of medicine: Internal Medicine, Surgery, Gynecology and Obstetrics, Pediatrics, Community Medicine, Social Service and Mental Health, with emphasis on primary health care, the prevention of illnesses and the promotion of healthy living.
- Providing students with the skills needed to use and apply scientific, clinical and epidemiological methodology, incorporating appropriate technology to deal with and resolve situations involving the diagnosis and treatment of the main individual and collective health problems.
- Enabling students to incorporate new technical and scientific knowledge and providing them with the knowledge to use bibliographical sources and general scientific documentation techniques.
- Encouraging students to learn things by themselves and develop their intellectual aptitude, stimulating their interest through continuous training and enabling them to acquire a critical conscience with respect to the results of their professional work.
- Demonstrating the ability to provide health services such as a General Practitioner, having access to scientific education programs and university teaching. Getting a place through public entrance examinations and/or examinations to determine degrees of knowledge in the different types of postgraduate course.
Successful completion of the M.D. Degree prepares the student for the practice of Medcine. Al courses are taught in Spanish. Student may take the United States Medical Licensing Examination (USMLE). Successful completion of the 3 Step exams allows the student to enter the workforce as a graduate Medical Doctor in the United States.
NAME OF DEGREE: MEDICINE
TITLE AWARDED: DOCTOR OF MEDICINE